My friend Emily is hosting a Top 10 Tuesday: Music. Since Emily is about to graduate from high school, I started thinking back to the soundtrack of my high school days.
Now, please let me preface this list to say I'm not a big music buff. I never know what song is playing on the radio, nor do I know the words. What I DO KNOW is whether or not the music part is good. I'm a melody girl. If it has a good melody, I like it.
Because of those things, back in high school I usually gravitated toward movie soundtracks, with some classical music mixed in. This playlist is not your typical 1980s playlist...but it IS the 1980s ALL THE WAY.
1. Amy Grant - If you were a teenage Christian in the 1980s, then you most certainly had some Amy Grant. A little trivia...Amy Grant's Straight Ahead Tour was my FIRST concert. I also seem to remember a young Michael W. Smith wearing a white argyle sweater vest playing along... Anybody else remember that concert?
2. Michael W. Smith- Also, if you were a teenager in the 80s, you DEFINITELY sang Friends are Friends Forever with your arms draped around your friends' shoulders...no less than a dozen times. Am I right?
3. Beethoven- I know this is an odd selection for a teenager...but my parents had a couple of Beethoven records I really loved. Whereas most teenagers would blare loud rock music when upset, I usually turned up the volume on either Beethoven or Rachmaninof, if I was feeling especially moody.
4. Rachmaninov- Oh, this song is so beautiful... Again, one of my parents' records.
5. Phantom of the Opera - Oh, how I LOVED (and still do) a good Broadway soundtrack. This one was my favorite in the 80s.
6. Beaches Soundtrack - What teenager didn't CRY HER EYES out during this movie? The soundtrack was beautifully moody music for a teenager back in those days.
7. Top Gun Soundtrack - This song in particular was on my exercise mix tape. Kids, mix tapes were serious business back in those days...
8. St. Elmo's Fire Soundtrack - The quintessential Brat Pack movie. You kids probably don't even know what "The Brat Pack" is... I'd forgotten all about Andrew McCarthy--he was my high school movie star crush.
9. Footloose Soundtrack- This movie made even dorky dancers like myself believe I could get foot loose... How many of you danced in front of your mirrors to this music? C'mon--be honest!
10. Stealing Home Soundtrack - I really loved the music from this movie. Plus, Mark Harmon and Jodie Foster--double score.
There were lots more songs from the 1980s I loved...but these sum up that decade for me pretty well.
What about you? What songs remind you of those glorious 1980s?
Now, go check out Emily's favorite songs...
Linked up with: