Is that terrible?
Should I even admit this shallow fact about myself?
But, it's true. I NEVER thought I'd like my DroidX phone as much as I do, and I NEVER KNEW just how helpful a little phone could be to my everyday life.
Part of my motivation in writing this post is to share the smart phone applications I find most helpful, but also to hear what apps YOU love most. I'm sure there's so much more I could be doing with my beloved phone.
And you know...I'm doing research for that award-winning musical...
The TOP 10 apps I use the most (on my DroidX phone):
1. Alarm & Timer - My phone charger is on my bedside table, so I am able to use the alarm on my phone every single day. I LOVE that I never have to worry about a power outage (not that uncommon in our neighborhood) messing with my morning alarm. I hope I never have to go back to a traditional alarm clock. This is one of my favorite features on my phone!
2. Facebook and Twitter- I know those are 2 separate apps, but I use them pretty much the same on my phone. I rarely look at Facebook or Twitter on my home computer anymore...I just don't have the time. But, when I have a free moment in the carpool line, or waiting for an appointment, I am able to search all the latest goings-on in my social media apps.
3. Instagram- I JUST joined the Instagram ranks--since they just rolled out the Android version. I'm still learning how I will use it, but so far I'm enjoying sharing photos.
4. Gmail- I really drug my feet in making the switch from my old e-mail account to a web-based account like Gmail. But, now, I cannot imagine switching from Gmail! I LOVE being able to access my e-mail from anywhere--especially my phone. My favorite feature is the ability to search old e-mails from ANY word or phrase inside the e-mail--or from the sender's name or e-mail. I use the search feature all the time!
5. Calendar - I am an old fashioned wall calendar hanging on the side of my fridge kind of girl, but I have recently started using my phone's Calendar app, and am feeling much more organized when I'm out-and-about. Mostly, I use the Calendar app to schedule my family's appointments. Standing at the receptionist's desk, I open the app and type in the next appointment as we're setting it. Then, I always set a 24-hour-ahead reminder, so that I never forget about an appointment!
6. Netflix- I must admit that my KIDS love this app most of all! Since signing up with Netflix a couple of months ago, I found out there was an app--score! I have a love-hate relationship with Netflix on my phone, though...because my kids want to "borrow my phone" ALL THE TIME. Netflix comes in handy when we have a long wait at a restaurant, during long car travel, or when waiting on a long appointment (with the volume turned way down, of course!)
7. TV.com- This app came pre-loaded on my Droid X, otherwise I might not have found it. Sometimes, I will use this app to watch t.v. while I'm on the treadmill. (I do use headphones, in order to hear better.) This is a CBS-owned app, and it plays full episodes (as well as short previews) of some shows I would not normally have time to watch...like NCIS Los Angeles, Blue Bloods, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours Mystery, and Undercover Boss. I don't use this app often, but when I do, I really appreciate how well it works!
8. iHeartRadio - This is THE app I use for music when running. I really love listening to the K-Love radio station; however, there are hundreds of other stations to choose from.
9. Pandora- Okay, so sometimes when I'm in the mood for a particular style of music (like classical piano or Josh Groban-style ballads), Pandora is where I go.
10. Bible and Daily Bible - I love having a Bible with me at all times! I use the Bible app for looking up a reference when I'm on-the-go. The Daily Bible app sends a Bible verse or passage to my phone every single day. I like that when I see the little Bible icon pop up (telling me there's a verse waiting to be read), I can wait until I have time to focus on that day's verse(s). It's such a small way that I can help keep my day focused on important things.
Honorable Mentions: I use these apps, but on a much-less consistent basis.
AccuWeather, Car Dock (for navigation), Where (for finding yummy FOOD on vacation!), Brightest Flashlight, Flixster, Shazam, and StumbleUpon (my favorite app for long road-trip "surfing")
What are your favorite smart phone apps?