(This is a re-posting from last year. Want more trivia? Check out another President's Day post!)
How much do you know about our Presidents? We'll find out in a minute, won't we? The more I learn about our early Presidents, the more they become my heroes! I want to teach our children about the character qualities of great men like Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson. I want our children to be inspired by their stories of perseverance, bravery, ingenuity, faith.
Start some great conversations about our Presidents with your kids at breakfast or dinner today--see how many of these answers they know!
President's Day Trivia
1. Who was the smallest—and lightest President, weighing only 100 lbs?
2. Who was the heaviest President, who ordered an enormous new bathtub for the White House after he got stuck in the existing one?
3. Which President took an early-morning skinny dip in the Potomac River most days?
4. Which 4 Presidents were assassinated?
5. Which musical President rose before dawn each day (as a boy) to spend 2 hours practicing the piano?
6. Which President, in earlier careers, worked as a fashion model and Yellowstone park ranger?
7. Who was the only President not affiliated with a political party?
8. Which President named Camp David after his grandson…David?
9. Who was the first President born in a hospital?
10. Which President's personal library of 6,000 books became the basis for the Library of Congress?
Resources to Share with your Family
1) Want your kids to learn the Presidents in order? This fun song not only teaches their names, but an interesting fact about each!
(Click here to view video of The Presidents Song)
2) How about an overview of George Washington's greatness? When you watch this Animated History of George Washington, be sure to listen for these key words: Courage...Character...Unanimously...Leadership
(Click here to view video on George Washington)
3) Watch Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address (an excerpt) - Animated Hero Classics, Nest Family Entertainment - We have collected some of these faith-based videos/dvds for our daughters through the years, and they are wonderful! Why not WATCH some of these cartoons with your family today--to celebrate President's Day! Excerpts of the George Washington and Abraham Lincoln videos are posted on YouTube.
(Click here to watch Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address)
4) Hands-down, the best storyteller I have ever heard (besides my dad, of course!) is Jim Weiss. I had the pleasure of hearing him at a denim jumper convention tell stories about the first 5 presidents, and it was one of the best lessons in history I have EVER heard. He made early American history come ALIVE for me that day! I highly recommend any of his Greathall Productions, which are audiobooks he has recorded on cd. Or,download an mp3 about the fascinating life of Thomas Jefferson!
I hope you have a great day celebrating our nation's rich history!
Want MORE Presidential trivia? Have you checked out my post from previous years' President's Days?
Who was YOUR favorite President? Why?